Now Open – New Hot Pot Concept

Hot Pot

After over two months of remodeling, our St Paul location is now open as a new hot pot concept restaurant. With over 1700 years of history, Szechuan hot pot has entered into everyday life of modern Chinese. We are the first (and only) 100% authentic Szechuan hot pot restaurant in Twin Cities. Come experience one of the most unique Chinese cuisines without traveling to China!

You can choose either a spicy pot or non-spicy pot, whichever whets your appetite. Over 100 meat and vegetarian selections are available for you to order. Some sampled selections are:

• Fresh Beef Tripe 鲜毛肚
  • Frozen Tofu 冻豆腐
  • Bean Curd Noodle 豆腐丝
  • Sticky Rice Cake 年糕
  • Yam Noodle 苕粉
  • Bean Vermicelli 银丝粉

Tags:

33 Responses to “Now Open – New Hot Pot Concept”

1. michelle | June 15, 2014 at 2:11 pm #

Are any of the hot pot options vegan? Also will you continue to have your old menu (spicy szechuan tofu, dried tofu w peanuts, green beans, etc)?

• Little Szechuan | June 15, 2014 at 3:58 pm #

Yes. You order vegan pots and choose from many selections for vegans and vegetarians. Sorry we serve hot pot only at the St Paul location. You are welcome to go our Minneapolis and West End locations for the same menus as the old menu at St Paul. Thank you!

• amit | June 16, 2014 at 10:51 pm #

As a great patron of your restaurant, i would recommend that you should serve the old menu also.

• Nate | June 17, 2014 at 11:14 am #

As much as I’m looking forward to trying the new concept I have to agree here… You were my favorite Szechuan in the cities and reasonably close to my work. Now I have to drive many miles to the other side of the river to get your the menu items I adore?

Maybe open a non-Hot Pot Little Szechuan in St. Paul somewhere else??

• CD | June 19, 2014 at 8:20 pm #

I agree – we really miss the old restaurant and are very disappointed that it won’t be returning with the old menu. The other locations are quite far away, and, while I’m sure hot pot is very good, it’s not what we want at this location.

• Matt | June 20, 2014 at 5:41 pm #

I agree with Amit, as a regular customer it is extremely disappointing that you aren’t keeping at least some of the old menu intact.

I have had hot pot in China and like the concept, but why destroy everything that made you special in the past?

• Sven | June 24, 2014 at 6:25 pm #

I can second that, because otherwise I won’t come anymore but it seems like you already made up your mind. Too bad, but that means I have to eat at other ethnic food restaurants in St. Paul.

2. DB | June 18, 2014 at 12:35 pm #

It’s too bad, I waited 2 months for a remodeled restaurant, not a different type of restaurant. I used to drive an hour one way once or twice a month from Wisconsin just to have your Kung Pao shrimp lunch with friends. Now that you don’t have your old menu, I guess I’ll have to go down the street to Bangkok cuisine instead. Pity…

3. Jeffrey | June 19, 2014 at 4:05 pm #

I loved your restaurant on University Ave. I visited it over 2 dozen times. I have been eagerly awaiting it to open again. My father and I tried the hot pot today and it was absolutely terrible. It took a long time to get the food. The pieces were not cut to an appropriate size for using chopsticks. One pot was totally bland. My father described it as eating dirty dishwater. The other was spicy without being flavorful. It was just pure heat and not appetizing. I enjoy very spicy food and not “Minnesota Spicy”, but actual spicy food. We were so disappointed that we left after just a few bites. Your old menu was fantastic for both lunch and dinner. I would happily pay more for your lunch specials than what you were previously charging. It’s a real shame that you spent so much time and money to fix something that wasn’t broken. I won’t be coming back for the hot pot. Please change back or at least offer the old menu again.

4. Mike | June 22, 2014 at 7:15 pm #

Your choice to not offer take away at your University location is . . . odd. As in, I want to give you money for your delicious food, but you don’t seem interested in taking it, odd.

5. Sarah | June 24, 2014 at 8:22 pm #

The Hot Pot is EXCELLENT! Those who loved the old menu should give this a try! I lived in Beijing and Chengdu for awhile and this is the most authentic Sichuan hot pot I’ve had since I’ve returned to the states. I even brough my parents – who didn’t even know what hot pot was – and they’re excited to eat it again. 很好吃!

6. Laura | June 25, 2014 at 4:14 pm #

what a wonderful addition to St. Paul! It’s about time there was a hot pot only restaurant in Minnesota! Can’t wait to visit this weekend!

7. Mary | June 29, 2014 at 7:05 pm #

I am totally loving the hot pot concept. Honestly, as good as the old menu was, it was totally lacking compared to the St. Louis Park and the newer Minneapolis location. The menus were similar, but the flavors varied and ingredients were slightly different even for the same dishes. I live in St. Paul and work in Minneapolis, so I’ve gone to all three and seldom went to University Avenue for my szechuan fix because it just wasn’t as good as the other locations. But now it’s totally different because the menu is actually different, and I couldn’t be happier! I think overall, some customers will be lost, but the new concept will bring in even more customers. It’s about time the Twin Cities have a hot pot restaurant, and I’m glad it was brought to us by my favorite restaurant!

• Little Szechuan | June 29, 2014 at 10:40 pm #

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback. We really appreciate both the encouragement and the concerns. We are a small local business with limited resources. But we will do our best to survive the tough economic times and bring the best of our hometown cuisine to the Twin Cities.

8. Todd Kolod | July 5, 2014 at 6:11 pm #

I have been a loyal Szechuan Spicy Tofu addict for some years now. I am salivating as I type this. I am disappointed to see this option gone. Is there something comparable on the new menu?

• Little Szechuan | July 10, 2014 at 10:28 pm #

We are really sorry the old menu is not available any more at our St Paul location. You are welcome to come to our Minneapolis (only 10 minutes away) and West End locations to find exactly what you had before.

9. dennis louie | July 7, 2014 at 8:54 pm #

I am disppointed that you will not have your old menu as I love your food but don’t want to drive to MPLS or Saint Louis Park to get it.

I like hot pot but it is a special occassion event and not for everyday going out to eat.
    I think you will get customers but regulars…..no

I find that hot pot meals while fun and unique start to all taste the same.

I wish you would buy My Villages space. It can be so beautiful but it isn’t as it is now and the food is terrible.

• Little Szechuan | July 10, 2014 at 10:32 pm #

Thank you for your honest feedback. Your observation of hot pot is understandable, but we have started to see regulars a few weeks since reopen. We are a small local business with limited resources. To maintain two menus at one location is a bit over our capability. If you like our food, please support us by driving 10 to 15 minutes to our other locations.

• amit | August 6, 2014 at 5:34 pm #

The kind of support people have shown above is commendable. i fail to understand that why change something when you know that it really works and people like it. Just by looking at the comments, it looks like people miss the old menu and would really like if it could be added back. Sometimes being loyal to your loyal customers works and helps everyone.

• Little Szechuan | October 30, 2014 at 12:46 pm #

Again we appreciate your honest suggestion. It’s never our intention to make our dear customers sad but the truth is that we cannot survive maintaining two menus.

10. vicki | October 9, 2014 at 1:54 pm #

Please bring back delivery from Bitesquad, from your U of M location TO SAINT PAUL customers! My family–brothers, nephews, cousins–all live to the east and south of Saint Paul and will not go to the U {parking issues} or St. Louis Park {another 30+ minutes drive on top of 45 minutes to an hour}. As regulars, we estimated that we easily spent $500 plus tips a month with you in Saint Paul, but sadly, no one even wants to try hot pot 🙁

Please, Please, Please let me get delivery from the campus location to 55105.

Then we can all eat your wonderful food together as a family.

Large orders await you.

• Little Szechuan | November 8, 2014 at 8:10 pm #

Vicki, sorry we missed your post (we received lots of spams). Sorry we cannot offer the old menu any more at the hot pot location. We are working with Bitesquad for delivery from our UM location and they should be able to deliver to your area once it’s set up. We do hear some customers wondering about the parking at the U, but many told us that it’s not too bad after they tried it. We had 6 free (free after 6 pm and all day on the weekend) parking spots on the back. The street parking is only $1.25 an hour. We hope you can give us a try too! Thanks!

11. kool | October 30, 2014 at 8:42 am #

I have a quick question, I really want to try this because I havent had authentic hotpot since Nanjing, China a year ago, but is this where you pay what you order or is it like the buffet hotpot I had in Thailand? And how much would it cost? I know the site says to check in store, but i’d like to know before I go out my way. Thanks!

• Little Szechuan | October 30, 2014 at 12:59 pm #

Great to hear you’ve had authentic hot pot in China! Hope to see you soon!

At dinner, your group will first order a soup base that ranges from $8 to $26 (the most expensive one has lots of seafood ready to eat), then you pick individual ingredients from our hot pot menu with most items priced $3 to $6. Averagely a customer pays anywhere from $15 to $25. We do offer lunch specials, that feature individual hot pots, for only $9.95! You choose one of four (spicy and non-spicy) soup bases and then pick any six ingredients. It’s a great value for both hot pot veterans and customers who try us out for the first time!

• kool | November 8, 2014 at 2:09 pm #

Thank you so much for the response!! That sounds fantastic! I definitely have to stop by with some friends and try it out soon then!

• Little Szechuan | November 8, 2014 at 7:55 pm #

We hope to server you and your friends soon. Please feel free to share your comments, good or bad!

12. tom | November 7, 2014 at 6:31 pm #

Which location does serve mala beef jerky?

• Little Szechuan | November 8, 2014 at 7:49 pm #

None of our locations serve it. Our University location does serve a popular item called Mala Beef Tendon, which is not as chewy as beef jerky. Thanks for asking!

13. Shuni | November 20, 2014 at 6:55 pm #

Do you open during Thanksgiving break?

• Little Szechuan | November 20, 2014 at 8:24 pm #

Yes, we will. We open late at 3pm on Thanksgiving. But on Friday and the weekend we open as usual. We will have holiday hours posted on the location page soon. Thank you for asking and have a great Thanksgiving!

14. Rob | December 20, 2014 at 8:38 pm #

Awesome, super authentic Hot Pot. Very much like the several I have been to in Shanghai. Please keep up the good work.

2 things I would like to request:
    1. Keep Mushroom sauce (without the spice) available – disappeared in recent months.
    2. I’ve heard complaints of people having no clue what they are doing. Would be good to have a tutorial/cheat sheet available for folks that are completely lost when they come in.

Cheers!

• Little Szechuan | December 23, 2014 at 10:57 pm #

We really like your cheat sheet idea. We will work on it. Sorry we dropped the mushroom sauce because it is not liked by the majority of the customers and thus hard to keep it fresh. The fresh chili sauce is very similar except no mushroom. Thank you for your great suggestions and you really are a veteran hot pot lover!

15. jason | February 5, 2016 at 5:04 pm #